Fundamentals of AAC Assessment and Intervention
Presented by Katie Threlkeld, M.S., CCC-SLP
September 24, 2022 – 11:00 AM – 3:15 PM EST
September 25, 2022 – 11:00 AM – 3:15 PM EST
Registration Fee: $247 for Speech-Language Pathologists
After this course, you will be able to…
- Describe components of the Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) assessment process, including the roles of members.
- Identify AAC intervention strategies and described when to use them to meet a user’s specific needs (e.g., visual, motor, cognitive abilities).
- Explain features of alternate access methods and how these access methods meet a user’s specific needs.
September 24th – Day 1
- 11:00-11:15 AM EST: Introduction & Disclosures
- 11:15-12:00 PM EST: Intro to AAC – Terms & Definitions
- 12:00-1:00 PM EST: AAC Systems
- 1:00-1:15 PM EST: Break
- 1:15-1:55 PM: Assessment for Pediatrics
- 1:55-2:35 PM: Assessment for Adults
- 2:35-2:55 PM: Alternate Access Methods
- 2:55-3:15 PM: Day 1 Conclusion and Q&A
September 25th – Day 2
- 11:00-11:15 AM EST: Review
- 11:15-12:00 PM EST: Fundamentals of Pediatric Intervention
- 12:00-12:40 PM EST: Fundamentals of Adult Intervention
- 12:40-1:20 PM EST: Customization & Modification Strategies
- 1:20-1:35 PM EST-Break
- 1:35-215 PM EST: Setting Specific AAC Assessment/Intervention
- 2:15-2:55 PM EST: Case Studies
- 2:55-3:15 PM EST: Day 2 Conclusion and Q&A
Katie Threlkeld, M.S., CCC-SLP, is a licensed, ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist with over eight years of clinical experience. She is a doctoral candidate at the University of Missouri in the Health & Rehabilitation Science program with a research focus on motor speech disorders and auditory-perceptual assessment. Specialized in motor speech disorders, AAC, and aural rehabilitation, Katie has developed proficient skills in these clinical areas providing assessment and treatment for patients across the lifespan. She serves on the ASHA SIG 2 (Neurogenic Communication Disorders) Professional Development Committee and is certified in SPEAK OUT! and LSVT Loud. Katie has presented at the state and national level on topics related to motor speech disorders, AAC, and aural rehabilitation. She is the Educational Program Developer at Forbes AAC, is a mentor for the Medical SLP Collective, and has teaching experience at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Receives payment from MedSLP Education for this presentation
- Paid full-time employee at Forbes AAC (Educational Program Developer)
- Receives payment from the Medical SLP Collective as a mentor
- Member of American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), Missouri Speech-Language-Hearing Association (MSHA), and International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (ISSAC)
Additional Info and FAQ:
Can I get continuing education for this webinar?
After watching the webinar, you will need to pass a short quiz with at least 80% accuracy and attend the full webinar to obtain credit for your participation. The link to the quiz will be emailed to you after the presentation. Once completed, you will receive a certificate of completion within 48 hours. You have 14 days to complete the test.
If you'd like to earn ASHA CEUs for the presentation, we can report your completion to ASHA. ASHA CEUs are awarded to those that meet eligibility criteria by the ASHA CE Registry upon receipt of the ASHA CEU Participant Form from the ASHA Approved CE Provider.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy?
Click here to view our policy: https://medslped.com/cancellation-policy/
What can I do if I have a complaint?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is this webinar appropriate for?
The target audience for this webinar is licensed speech-language pathologists. There are no prerequisite skills or knowledge needed beyond the basic speech-language pathology training and licensing.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you require accommodations to access these materials due to a disability, please email us at email@example.com