Stop the PO Trial Madness: Evidence Based Clinical Swallow Evaluations
Presented by Kelly Caldwell, MS, CCC-SLP
Registration Fee: $297 for Speech-Language Pathologists
RECORDING IS AVAILABLE! COURSE AVAILABLE DECEMBER 13, 2021 to DECEMBER 13, 2026
We all know how important instrumental swallow studies are, but what about the clinical swallow evaluation (CSE)? One of the hottest topics in the med SLP world is what we can and cannot do with the CSE. This is exactly why we’re bringing Kelly Caldwell, M.S. CCC-SLP on MedSLP Ed to do an 8 hour deep dive on this very topic!
“We shouldn’t just focus on what we CAN’T do with clinical swallow evaluations. SLPs shouldn’t feel handcuffed when they go into a patient’s room and are asked to evaluate their swallowing.” -Kelly Caldwell.
After this course, you will be able to…
- Identify benchmarks on the Change Journey for clinical practice
- Describe components of a clinical swallow evaluation (CSE)
- Discuss clinical realities that influence per os (PO) intake and CSE tools
- Integrate CSE tools for specific patient populations
- Determine next steps to implement change in clinical practice
- 0-20 minutes: Introduction
- 20-160 minutes: Neuroanatomy
- 160-190 minutes: Cognition and Language
- 190-230 minutes: Neurology Diagnostics
- 230-305 minutes: Impairments and Diagnoses
- 305-370 minutes: Assessment
- 370-410 minutes: Treatment
- 410-565 minutes: Case Application
- 565-570 minutes: Take Home Messages
RECORDED COURSE AGENDA
- 0-60 minutes: The Change Journey in clinical practice
- 60-180 minutes: Super-skilling the CSE
- 180-210 minutes: Break
- 210-330 minutes: Super-skilling the CSE, continued
- 330-390 minutes: Clinical Realities
- 390-450 minutes: Integration into a CSE for specific populations
- 450-480 minutes: Break
- 480-540 minutes: Implementing change and use it on Monday – LIVE with Q and A
Speaker Information and Disclosures
Kelly Caldwell is a Speech-Language Pathologist at a Voice Clinic in Anderson, SC. She earned her Master of Arts in Teaching- Music Education from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Master of Science in Communication Sciences and Disorders degree from East Carolina University. Special interests include functional dysphagia, dysphonia, and upper airway disorders. Outside of the clinic, Kelly enjoys mentoring SLPs on the Med SLP Collective. She is currently serving SCSHA as the Vice President of Government Affairs.
- Speaker fees from “Medical SLP Education”
- Salary from AnMed Health and Prisma Health Upstate
- Consulting fee from the Medical SLP Collective
- South Carolina Speech-Language Hearing Association – I am a professional member of the organization, and serve as Vice President of Government Affairs.
- Dysphagia Research Society – I am a member of the organization.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get continuing education for this webinar?
After watching the webinar, you will need to pass a short quiz with at least 80% accuracy and attend the full webinar to obtain credit for your participation. The link to the quiz will be available to you after the presentation in the course area. Once completed, you will receive a certificate of completion inside your course area.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy?
Click here to view our policy: https://medslped.com/cancellation-policy/
What can I do if I have a complaint?
Please contact us at [email protected]
Who is this webinar appropriate for?
The target audience for this webinar is licensed speech-language pathologists. There are no prerequisite skills or knowledge needed beyond the basic speech-language pathology training and licensing.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you require accommodations to access these materials due to a disability, please email us at [email protected]
How do I access my course information?
Once you have registered, the course information will appear at the bottom of this page. You can also access all your courses on the My Account tab of this website.