Shining a Light on Dysphagia Management: Exercise, Sensors, and Adherence
Presented by Gabriela Constantinescu, PhD
Registration Fee: $297 for Speech-Language Pathologists
*** COURSE RECORDING IS AVAILABLE FROM APRIL 29, 2022 – APRIL 29, 2027
After this course, you will be able to…
- Learners will synthesize existing literature from our field and others on exercise and adherence.
- Learners will describe how biofeedback works to colleagues or patients: from the muscle to the screen.
- Attendees will interpret surface electromyography (sEMG) signals and what it is and is not telling you.
- Learners will analyze objective data on adherence to adjust workout programs.
- 0-20 minutes: Introduction
- 20-160 minutes: Neuroanatomy
- 160-190 minutes: Cognition and Language
- 190-230 minutes: Neurology Diagnostics
- 230-305 minutes: Impairments and Diagnoses
- 305-370 minutes: Assessment
- 370-410 minutes: Treatment
- 410-565 minutes: Case Application
- 565-570 minutes: Take Home Messages
RECORDED COURSE AGENDA
- 0-60 minutes – Overview of dysphagia exercise and current literature
- 60-120 minutes: Muscles, muscle fibers, and exercise literature – what do we know
- 120-180 minutes – Adherence to exercise
- 180-240 minutes- Advancements in home health in adjacent fields (guest speaker)
- 240-300 minutes – Introduction to biofeedback and sensors
- 300-360 minutes – sEMG biofeedback: introduction, history, and research
- 360-420 minutes – What does the signal mean and how do we analyze it
- 420-480 minutes – Integrating biofeedback technologies for objective measures of adherence
Speaker Information and Disclosures
Dr. Gabriela (Gabi) Constantinescu is an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Communication Sciences and Disorders Department at the University of Alberta and CXO for True Angle. She is also an Affiliate of the Institute for Reconstructive Sciences in Medicine (iRSM). After obtaining her MSc-SLP from the University of Alberta, Gabi started her career as an SLP at the iRSM, where she amassed over a decade of experience assessing and treating swallowing difficulties in patients following treatment for head and neck cancer. Gabi then went on to obtain her PhD, where her research directly influenced the design and development of a mobile system for swallowing exercise called the Mobili-T (now a product of True Angle). During her PhD, Gabi received several personal awards and honors, including the Alberta Innovates: Health Solutions Clinician Fellowship. After obtaining a Postdoctoral Fellowship in the School of Public Health at the University of Alberta, Gabi became a co-founder and CXO for True Angle. Her research brought her the 2020 Michael Donovan NFOSD Innovation Award at the Dysphagia Research Society conference and the 2020 ACSLPA Honor of the College award. One of Gabi’s favorite academic activities is knowledge translation, from publications to presentations such as this one, to blogs and educational videos.
- Speaker fees from “Medical SLP Education”
- Salary, Intellectual Property Rights, and Holds a Patent on equipment from True Angle
- Royalties from Medbridge, Inc and Elsevier Publishers
- Research affiliate wth iRSM
- Adjunct Assistant Professor at University of Alberta
Dr. Jana Rieger – Founder of True Angle
- Ownership Interest, Intellectual Property Rights, and Holds a Patent on equipment from True Angle
- Salary from University of Alberta
- No non-financial Disclosures
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get continuing education for this webinar?
After watching the webinar, you will need to pass a short quiz with at least 80% accuracy and attend the full webinar to obtain credit for your participation. The link to the quiz will be available to you after the presentation in the course area. Once completed, you will receive a certificate of completion inside your course area.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy?
Click here to view our policy: https://medslped.com/cancellation-policy/
What can I do if I have a complaint?
Please contact us at [email protected]
Who is this webinar appropriate for?
The target audience for this webinar is licensed speech-language pathologists. There are no prerequisite skills or knowledge needed beyond the basic speech-language pathology training and licensing.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you require accommodations to access these materials due to a disability, please email us at [email protected]
How do I access my course information?
Once you have registered, the course information will appear at the bottom of this page. You can also access all your courses on the My Account tab of this website.