MEDICAL SLP ROLES: FROM DIAGNOSTIC CHARACTERISTICS TO TREATMENT APPROACHES
Presented by Michael E. Groher, Ph.D., PhD, CCC-SLP
Registration Fee: $247 for Speech-Language Pathologists
THIS COURSE IS AVAILABLE MARCH 1, 2022 to MARCH 1, 2027
After this course, you will be able to…
- To provide and describe an orientation to the medical setting that will impact the application of medical SLP interventions
- To identify, define, and apply concepts of identification of disorders commonly referred to a medical SLP
- To provide a working framework in order to apply diagnostic and treatment approaches by diagnostic category
- To identify how differential diagnostic characteristics can be important in the application of diagnostic and treatment approaches
- 0-20 minutes: Introduction
- 20-160 minutes: Neuroanatomy
- 160-190 minutes: Cognition and Language
- 190-230 minutes: Neurology Diagnostics
- 230-305 minutes: Impairments and Diagnoses
- 305-370 minutes: Assessment
- 370-410 minutes: Treatment
- 410-565 minutes: Case Application
- 565-570 minutes: Take Home Messages
RECORDED COURSE AGENDA
- 0-60 minutes – Players in the Medical Setting
- 60-90 minutes – Orientation to Medical Disorders Seen by the SLP
- 90-150 minutes – Non-Progressive Neurological Disorders Part 1
- 150 – 225 minutes – Non-Progressive Neurological Disorder Part 2
- 225-240 minutes – Q+A
- 240-300 minutes – Progressive Neurological Disorders
- 300-360 minutes – Head and Neck Cancer
- 360-375 minutes – Q+A
- 375-420 minutes – General Concepts on Dysphagia Management
- 420-465 minutes – Acute and Non-Acute Medical Conditions
- 465-480 minutes – Q+A
Speaker Information and Disclosures
Michael Groher is a Professor Emeritus in the Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders at the University of Redlands in Redlands, California. Dr. Groher has spent the majority of his career working as a medical speech pathologist in acute and long-term care settings. The majority of hospital work was done for the Department of Veterans Affairs in Seattle/Tacoma, New York, and Tampa. He is best known for his research and clinical work with patients who have swallowing disorders. The majority of his work is summarized in three texts: Dysphagia: Diagnosis and Management (Three editions), Introduction to Adult Swallowing Disorders, and Clinical Management of Dysphagia in Adults and Children, third edition, Elsevier 2020. Dr. Groher is an ASHA Fellow, has received Honors from ASHA, and is a past founding associate editor for the journal Dysphagia. He is an honorary member of the Japanese Society of Dysphagia Rehabilitation.
- Speaker fees from “Medical SLP Education”
- Consulting fee from Nippon Dental University
- Royalties from Medbridge, Inc and Elsevier Publishers
- No non-financial disclosures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get continuing education for this webinar?
After watching the webinar, you will need to pass a short quiz with at least 80% accuracy and attend the full webinar to obtain credit for your participation. The link to the quiz will be available to you after the presentation in the course area. Once completed, you will receive a certificate of completion inside your course area.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy?
Click here to view our policy: https://medslped.com/cancellation-policy/
What can I do if I have a complaint?
Please contact us at email@example.com
Who is this webinar appropriate for?
The target audience for this webinar is licensed speech-language pathologists. There are no prerequisite skills or knowledge needed beyond the basic speech-language pathology training and licensing.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you require accommodations to access these materials due to a disability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I access my course information?
Once you have registered, the course information will appear at the bottom of this page. You can also access all your courses on the My Account tab of this website.