All Things Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) for the SLP
Presented by Michelle Dehgan, MA, CCC-SLP, BCS-S
Registration Fee: $349 for Speech-Language Pathologists
COURSE AVAILABLE JUNE 6, 2023 – JUNE 6, 2028
After this course, you will be able to…
Identify the impact of SCI on the body system as a whole and how that impacts the SLP plan of care.
Apply core SCI knowledge to dysphagia and communication case studies to anticipate challenges.
Plan treatments in this patient population incorporating breathing, voice, swallowing, and cognition.
- 0-20 minutes: Introduction
- 20-160 minutes: Neuroanatomy
- 160-190 minutes: Cognition and Language
- 190-230 minutes: Neurology Diagnostics
- 230-305 minutes: Impairments and Diagnoses
- 305-370 minutes: Assessment
- 370-410 minutes: Treatment
- 410-565 minutes: Case Application
- 565-570 minutes: Take Home Messages
RECORDED COURSE AGENDA
- 0-5 Minutes: Introduction
- 5-20 Minutes: Anatomy of the Spine
- 20-45 Minutes: Damage to the Spine
- 45-65 Minutes: Autonomic Dysreflexia
- 65-85 Minutes: Bowel/Bladder Management
- 85-90 Minutes: Sexuality
- 90-100 Minutes: Skin Management
- 100-135 Minutes: Dysphagia & Dysphonia post SCI
- 135-200 Minutes: Nutrition Needs & Concerns
- 200- 215 Minutes: Exercise, ROM, Spasticity, & Posture
- 215- 225 Minutes: Call light systems
- 225-255 Minutes: Dual Injury
- 255-270 Minutes: Case Studies
- 270-290 Minutes: Respiratory Anatomy & Pulmonary Foundations
- 290-315 Minutes: Types of Ventilation & Oxygen Therapies
- 315-325 Minutes: Impact of Special Populations
- 325-345 Minutes: Starting with a Ventilator
- 345-360 Minutes: Initial Assessment
- 360-395 Minutes: Daily treatment & plan of care for the respiratory side of therapy
- 395-415 Minutes: Weaning from the Ventilator
- 415-435 Minutes: When Traditional Pathways Don’t Work
- 435-450 Minutes: Moving Towards Decannulation
- 450-480 Minutes: Respiratory Muscle Strength Training, the Cough, & Glossopharyngeal Breathing
- 480-485 Minutes: Secretion Management
- 485-500 Minutes Imaging
- 500-510 Minutes: Voice After SCI
- 510-520 Minutes: Goal Writing for SCI
- 520-530 Minutes: Augmentative/Assistive Technology or Support
- 530-545 Minutes: Outcome Measures
- 545-570 Minutes: Case Studies
- 570-580 Minutes: Resources
- 580-600 Minutes: Q&A, etc.
Speaker Information and Disclosures
Michelle Dehgan is the Research/Education Coordinator for Speech-Language Pathology at TIRR Memorial Hermann. She graduated with Communication Sciences & Disorders degrees from The University of Texas @ Austin (BS) in 1995 and The University of Houston (MA) in 1997. She became Board Certified Specialist in Swallowing & Swallowing Disorders in 2007. She is the ASHA CE administrator for two organizations.
She is currently an active member of ASHA, Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, Dysphagia Research Society, Special Interest Division 11 on Supervision & Administration, Special Interest Division 13 on Swallowing & Swallowing Disorders, and Special Interest Division 17 on Global Issues in Communication Sciences and Related Disorders. In addition, she is a mentor and speaker with The MedSLP Collective and enjoys fostering the growth of a new generation of clinicians.
- Speaker fees from “Medical SLP Education”
Salary as an Employee of Memorial Hermann Health System
- Consulting fee from the Medical SLP Collective
- No relevant non-financial disclosures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get continuing education for this webinar?
After watching the webinar, you will need to pass a short quiz with at least 80% accuracy and attend the full webinar to obtain credit for your participation. The link to the quiz will be available to you after the presentation in the course area. Once completed, you will receive a certificate of completion inside your course area.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy?
Click here to view our policy: https://medslped.com/cancellation-policy/
What can I do if I have a complaint?
Please contact us at [email protected]
Who is this webinar appropriate for?
The target audience for this webinar is licensed speech-language pathologists. There are no prerequisite skills or knowledge needed beyond the basic speech-language pathology training and licensing.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you require accommodations to access these materials due to a disability, please email us at [email protected]
How do I access my course information?
Once you have registered, the course information will appear at the bottom of this page. You can also access all your courses on the My Account tab of this website.